Long term disability coverage may be obtained directly from an insurer, or more often, through your employer’s benefit package. Generally speaking, a disability insurance policy replaces a portion of lost earnings when you are unable to work or draw a paycheque. It is a benefit you hope to never have to use. Unfortunately, in many cases where benefits are needed, long term disability claims are wrongfully denied.
There are several ways an Ontario or Canadian insurance provider can try to deny your claim. For example, they may point out mistakes in your application, blame you for not meeting important deadlines, or even bury you in paperwork until you give up on the claim. Some may even try to offer a reduced lump sum settlement to save money and close your case quickly.
But did you know that insurance providers in Ontario have a legal obligation to act in good faith towards its insured individuals and cannot deliberately deny legitimate claims?
If you feel you have been wrongfully denied a good claim a disability insurance claim lawyer can hold your insurer accountable for the distress caused by the breach of their duty. Furthermore, the Supreme Court of Canada has found benefit plans to have a “peace of mind” bargain that holds insurers accountable in assessing and approving good claims.
Do You Need a Disability Insurance Lawyer?
Call our Toronto and Hamilton insurance lawyers of Michael’s Law Firm if any of the statements apply to your disability claim:
- Your disability insurance provider asked you to sign a waiver form or contract.
- Your disability insurance provider has offered a reduced lump sum settlement
or seeks to limit your claim.
- Your disability insurance provider delayed processing your claim and caused hardship because of the delay.
- Your disability insurance provider insists you can still return to you own occupation or another occupation, even though you are unable to.
- Your disability insurance provider is insisting that your education and experience are suited to other careers.
- Your disability insurance provider seems to be limiting your disability insurance coverage.
Time is of the Essence – Call Michael’s Law Firm Today
In Ontario, there are important time limits to appeal an insurer’s decision or bring a lawsuit against your disability insurance provider, which can vary from policy to policy.
Michael Lesage can help you receive the appropriate compensation that you deserve. Acting as your advocate, Michael’s Law Firm will help you understand the legal interpretation of your benefit plan and insurance contract. As an aggressive insurance lawyer with over 10 years insurance litigation experience, he will provide a full legal review of your medical records and help meet important deadlines throughout the case.
If you or a loved one is suffering, call 647-495-8995 or contact us online to receive a free case evaluation of your disability insurance claim. Our confidential assessment of your case is complimentary and there are no fees unless we win or settle your disability claims case.