Slip and Fall Injury Lawyers in Toronto and Hamilton

mop bucket and caution sign preventing slip and fall injuryIf you slip, trip, or fall on someone else’s property and sustain injuries that are caused by the property owner’s negligence you may be entitled to compensation. It is important to seek the help of a trusted injury lawyer as soon as possible.

Your injuries could be the result of a tripping hazard such as a raised sidewalk slab, raised sidewalk slab, bunched up entry rug, slippery liquid on the floor, or even by snow or ice in the winter. These tripping hazards in turn could be the result of poor building design, insufficient lighting or a failure to keep the premises clean. In many cases, these injuries occur in busy, high traffic areas, such as malls, grocery stores, gyms, sidewalks or streets, though they can also occur in private homes or offices.

Regardless of where the injury occurs, if you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall:

Call Michael’s Firm today at 1-647-499-8995
For a free, confidential assessment of your case.

What should you do after a Slip and Fall Accident?

Should an accident occur it is important to properly document the incident including:

  • Taking pictures of the conditions at time of the accident
  • Taking pictures of any injuries sustained and/or save medical documentation of injuries
  • Collecting the names and contact information of any potential witnesses
  • Calling a Slip and Fall Lawyer for legal help

Who is Legally Responsible for Slip and Fall Accidents in Ontario?

Broadly speaking, in Ontario, the person in possession of the property is responsible for injuries sustained there. This has been codified by the Occupier’s Liability Act, which provides:

“An occupier of premises owes a duty to take such care as in all the circumstances of the case is reasonable to see that persons entering on the premises, and the property brought on the premises by those persons are reasonably safe while on the premises.”
R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER O.2, 3.(1)

Learn more about Occupier’s Liability in Ontario, Canada.

What Are Common Slip and Fall Injuries?

Some of the most common injuries represented by Slip and Fall lawyers include:

  • Head injuries
  • Hip fractures
  • Back injuries
  • Shoulder injuries
  • Fractured or broken bones
  • Sprains and fractures
  • Soft tissue injuries

Seeking compensation through the legal system with the help of a Slip and Fall lawyer can help cover the financial hardship of these injuries, including lost work time and medical bills.

Where Did Your Slip and Fall Occur?

Property owners have the legal responsibility to keep their premises clear of hazards so that you are reasonably safe while on the premise. Property owners include provincial governments, municipalities, commercial property owners, and private property owners.

Government or City Property

By law, Ontario municipalities are required to keep roads and sidewalks properly cleared and are liable of any injuries caused by improperly maintained roads or walkways. The same holds true for other premises including public transit, airport terminals, and parks. If your injury happened on city or government of Ontario property, it is important to provide notice within 10 days of the incident, or as soon as possible thereafter.

  • For municipal property, written notice should be provided to the clerk’s office.
  • For provincial property, the notification should be provided to the Ontario Attorney General.

Be sure to keep a copy of any notice letters you send along with proof of mailing (i.e. return receipt). Our slip and fall lawyers at Michael’s Firm would be happy to provide this notice for you.

Commercial Property (Restaurants, Bars, Stores)

Commercial properties such as restaurants, bars, and malls are required to keep their property safe and free from any tripping or slipping hazards. Injuries caused by wet floors, uneven flooring, construction work, poor lighting, and other hazardous situations could be cause for legal action.

Private Property

Private property owners have a similar obligation as that of stores and businesses to keep their property safe for friends, family and visitors such as repair people. Essentially, a homeowner is required to make sure their house is reasonably safe for visitors.  In most cases where injury occurs on private property, insurance coverage is available.

Rental Property

In Ontario, landlords are required to keep their property properly maintained and may be legally liable for slip and fall accidents resulting in injury due to hazardous conditions.

Call Slip and Fall Lawyers at Michael’s Firm

There is no reason to suffer through an injury caused by a slip and fall accident, whether it occurred in a home, in a restaurant, or on government property. For close to ten years our Toronto and Hamilton lawyers have helped others just like you get the proper compensation they need to put their lives back on track.

Fill out the form on the left side of this page or call our Personal Injury lawyers at 1-647-495-8995 for your free and confidential slip and fall case evaluation. With law offices in both Toronto and Hamilton we’ll meet you where it’s convenient.

Remember, you’ve got nothing to lose as there are no fees unless our Slip and Fall lawyer wins or settles your case.